September 16, 2008
There’s a new, albeit subtle, look to Borrego Valley Airport these days after completion of several projects at the desert facility. San Diego County Airports spent nearly $1 million on improvements.
Included in the list are a new fuel island to make it safer and easier for pilots to refuel their planes, a new helicopter landing pad to serve both private and military aircraft, and a new run-up area where pilots warm up their airplane’s engines before take off.
In addition, Airports crews recently installed a new navigation beacon to help pilots find the airport from the air at night. The beacon’s tower is about six feet lower than before and the bulb wattage reduced from 400 to 250 watts. This new system still meets minimum Federal Aviation Administration standards.
Borrego Springs residents and other interested people get a chance to visit the airport October 18 at 5 p.m. during AkroFest, the annual aerobatic flight competition. AkroFest runs October 17-19.
Borrego Valley is one of eight County-owned airports including McClellan-Palomar, Gillespie Field, Ramona, Fallbrook, Jacumba, Ocotillo and Agua Caliente.
In 1947 San Diego County purchased approximately 145 acres from the Burnand family, developers of Borrego Springs, to develop the airport. The County owns and operates the facility and contracts with an on-site manager for day-to-day operations.