Your County Government Community
Kids & Families
Environment Public Safety Jobs

County News

Latest News
County Recognition
County Television Network
Board Of Supervisors Meeting Video
Public Information Officers
County Officials Contact List

New Passport Laws Impact Parents Owing Child Support

Printer Friendly
Font Size Extra Large Font Size Large Font Size Default

May 28, 2009

Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens who wish to travel to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean or Bermuda by land or sea will need a passport. Parents who have an active case with their local child support agency and who owe more than $2,500 in past due child support, will be denied issuance or renewal of a passport due to federal child support statutes that have been in effect since 1996.

“Although the passport denial statute has been in effect for a number of years, the new federal passport requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative bring this issue very much to the forefront,” said Jeff Grissom, Director of the County Department of Child Support Services (DCSS). “The impact will be substantial in San Diego with the number of people who are traveling to and from Mexico.”

Apply for a passport at the County Administration Center

Non-custodial parents, who have an active case with the County Department of Child Support Services and owe more than $2,500, should take steps to pay all child support as soon as possible.

Those individuals should call the Department of Child Support Services’ toll free number at 1-866-901-3212, or visit to make an online payment.  They can also visit the County Department of Child Support Services’ office on the sixth floor of the downtown courthouse at 220 W. Broadway.

Email Updates  Get County news and information delivered to your inbox